Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pineapples

There is nothing more exciting to a waiting mouth than a slice of fresh, whole pineapple from the Dole corporation. Except a fresh, whole pineapple from Hawaii. Ten years ago, one could expect to find Hawaiian-grown pineapples at most supermarkets. This seems to no longer be the case. First, let me assure my Central American brothers that I have nothing but the deepest love and respect for their culture as well as all the wonderful things they send us up here, and at such good prices. Then I would like to say that their pineapples are inferior to those grown in Hawaii. But since the long and bony finger of food fate has already pointed the way, south. I suppose I shall do nothing but humbly accept this new arrangement and be grateful for any pineapple at all.

1 comment:

jake said...

Most excellent, my leige. But I would like to see commentary on cherries. I mean real cherries! Bing cherries...holy shit they are amazing. I've always loved cherries, but as I've known them, since adolescence, they were naturally accompanied with red cherry syrup in a can. Pie filling. This summer was different. Bing cherries. I even nailed down my technique and everything (which I cannot reveal at this time). And my God, they have changed me from within. I think they're my favorite fruit now, really.

Anyhow, cherries would be nice to review.

jake